Tuesday, March 17, 2009

There Is NO Me Without You

Anyone adopting a child from Ethiopia has either read, intend to read or been advised to read this book.  There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene is a must read when trying to understand the in's and out's of the orphan crisis in Ethiopia.

The book is the about the story of  Hargewoin Teferra  " a middle-class Ethiopian widow whose home became a refuge for hundreds of AIDS orphans, and about a few remarkable children who moved through her life." 

Sadly, Ms. Teferra has passed away.  Ethiopia has lost a warrior for children's rights.

TTYL 

Robbin

6 comments:

  1. I'm still crying. I wanted to meet her in my travels just to tell her "thank you". She knows it now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was an incredible woman. It's hard to even imagine all of the children and families that she has helped because there are so many. This book about her was the first that I picked up once we decided to adopt from Ethiopia and it is profound.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbin,
    I have been meaning to ask you...how close are you now to being matched with your child? I see that you were put on the waiting list in July of last year. So, you should be coming up on your referral pretty soon right? How exciting!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbin,

    Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am feeling pretty upbeat (have been at this trying to start a family for most of my adult life, so what's a few more weeks?) - I want to thank you for your posts. I love your blog and you have really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I can't wait until you get YOUR referral!!

    ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbin,

    I just wanted to stop by and tell you I always see your encouraging comments on everyone's blog...thanks!! What a wonderful encourager you are to all of us in this process! Now, when you get your referral...THAT will be a happy day in blogland:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day is coming soon. I bet your on pins and needles. I can't wait to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete